Catering options are virtually unlimited. You are free to engage a private catering organization of your choice, or choose Rave! Events (919.515.2023).

  • Note: Rave! Events must be used if you are hosting your event at the Talley Student Center or Vaughn Towers.

Should you use a private catering organization, you will be responsible for arranging parking or campus access privileges.

If you are serving alcohol, you are responsible for ensuring the private catering organization adheres to all university policies regarding alcohol (see below).   

Are You Serving Alcohol?

In order to serve alcohol at university sponsored events, you must submit a completed Request for Permission to Serve Alcohol form to Crissy Williams-Brown in the Dean’s Office for approval.

  • Note: Submit your form at least three weeks prior to the event and before the printing of invitations, if you are referencing cocktails on the invite.

In addition, you should submit an Authorization to Purchase Alcohol form to Crissy Williams-Brown, which also must be approved by the Dean. Should you require reimbursement for your alcohol purchase, this form must be on file.

The university has strict guidelines regarding serving alcohol at university-sponsored events. Some important items to consider include:

  • State-appropriated or federal funds cannot be used to purchase alcohol.
  • Except for University holidays, no alcohol may be served at any campus location (with the exception of those campus facilities authorized to sell alcohol) on a University business day until after 5:00 p.m.
  • Access to the event must be limited to invitees and controlled throughout the event. The event may not be open to the public.
  • A sufficient amount of alternative, nonalcoholic beverages must be available.
  • A sufficient amount of substantial, wholesome food (heavy hors d'oeuvres or dinner) must be served.
  • There must be a professional bartender. University Catering can assist you in securing one.  
  • If you are hosting the event in your home, you are not required to have a professional bartender.